Thursday, November 29, 2012

Story maps



A while back, I started a Pinterest page on Writers Tools and Tips (that I've hardly added anything to lately...). To feed that page (and to have a permanent place to park this information), I'm uploading  the Story Map I've started using when writing short stories. (You don't have to use it before you start the story, but it can help you at any time during the writing to clarify who is saying what, and how else a character might be described). I have created it and honed its elements based on fiction writing classes I've taken and books I've read over the years.

The image above is there for mostly for graphic purposes (and so I can link to it on that Pinterest page). Here it is as text, below, if you'd like to import it into word processing, and adapt for your own uses.

[Note: If you copy and paste this into Microsoft Word, and want to retain the table, choose the "Keep Source Formatting" option. You can still type into it. If you are bothered by the pinkish background that imports from this blog, though, you can paste the text and table separately—choose "Keep Source Formatting" for the table only, then under "Table Properties" choose "Shading"--no fill.]




STORY MAP



WORKING TITLE:


SETTING(S)
·      Year(s):         
·      Season(s):
·      Place(s):


CHARACTERS

Name
Approx. Age
Physical description

















PROBLEM:


CONFLICTS:


EVENT 1:

EVENT 2:

EVENT 3:

EVENT 4:


SOLUTION:

No comments: